Acorn Nursery Class
From Little Acorns Mighty Oaks Grow!
Welcome to our School Nursery Class
We run morning sessions everyday from 8.45 am - 11.45 am and afternoon sessions from 12.30 pm to 3.30 pm. Your child can also stay for lunch from 11.45 am to 12.30 pm at a cost of £2.50. We offer wrap around care from 8.55 am to 6 pm. Children can attend our Nursery from the term following their 3rd birthday. If you would like to arrange a visit to see us please contact the school office on (01359) 250225.
Please take a look at our welcome booklet below and the rest of our web page to see our learning in action!
Hello from Mrs Smith the Nursery Class Teacher and Early Years Lead. I cannot wait to meet you and your child and am excited to begin their learning journey. I have been a teacher now for over 15 years and many of these worked in Early Years. I am passionate about learning through play and the outdoors.
Mrs Burnett is the Teaching Assistant in Nursery Class and also our Lunchtime teacher.
Nursery Class Learning
In Acorn Nursery Class we are always busy learning in lots of different ways.
Monday: Mark making
Tuesday: Library Visit Day
Wednesday: Welly Walk
We are fortunate to have a purpose built learning environment which enables us to be independent and challenge ourselves.Threading through our Curriculum are the Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning:
- playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
- creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
We have a large indoor and outdoor space which can be accessed by the children all of the time. These spaces have been carefully designed to include lots of different areas that offer opportunities for learning that support our Curriculum Areas of Learning:
- communication and language.
- physical development.
- personal, social and emotional development.
- understanding the world.
- expressive arts and design.
Below is a list of the areas with some examples of the many types of learning they offer:
- Home corner: Imagination, Communication and Interaction.
- Malleable area: Mathematical Thinking. Physical Development
- Writing Area: Writing Development, Physical Skills
- Creative workshop: Creative Thinking, Design Skills
- Water Tray: Mathematical Language, Communication Skills
- Snack Area: Physical Skills, Personal Skills
- Themed role play area: that changes e.g shop or hairdressers Understanding the World around them.
- Construction area: Mathematical Thinking and Problem Solving, Imagination and Design skills
- Small World area: Storytelling skills,
- Dressing up: Understanding world around them, Imagination
- Maths area: Mathematical concepts
- Story Corner: Literacy skills
Outside we have a large learning space with both hard surfaces and grass with the added challenge of a hill, slide and swing. We also have a large canopy and tap to support our learning outside. The space is carefully designed to offer further learning areas which include:
- Sand Pit: Mathematical Problem Solving Physical Skills
- Bike Area: Physical Skills, Social Skills
- Reading Den: Literacy Development
- Balance course: Physical Skills
- Growing Patch: Understanding the World around us
- Mud Kitchen: Understanding the World around us, Imagination skills
- Playhouse: Imagination, Communication and Interaction.
- Slide and Swing: Physical Skills, Problem Solving, Communication
Take a look at our Gallery for just some of the learning we do whilst at Nursery!
Assessment of Learning at Nursery
Keep up-to-date with your child's learning using our secure assessment system Tapestry. We like to hear about all the wonderful learning that happens at home, you can add observations too! If you have forgotten your login detail please talk to Mrs Smith who can can set you a new password. Please click below to login.
We have access to class dojo in order to stay in contact with parents. Parents can message the class teacher and we can share photos, news and important messages with each other.
Take a look at our Indoor Provision