Acorn Nursery Class
From Little Acorns Mighty Oaks Grow!
Welcome to our School Nursery Class
We run morning sessions everyday from 9am - 12 noon. Children can attend our Nursery from the term following their 3rd birthday. If you would like to arrange a visit to see us please contact the school office on (01359) 250225.
Please take a look at welcome booklet below and the rest of our webpage to see our learning in action!
Nursery Class Learning
In Acorn Nursery Class we are always busy learning in lots of different ways. We are fortunate to have a purpose built learning environment which enables us to be independent and challenge ourselves.Threading through our Curriculum are the Characteristics of Effective Learning:
- playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
- creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
We have a large indoor and outdoor space which can be accessed by the children all of the time. These spaces has been carefully designed to include lots of different areas that offer opportunities for learning that support our Curriculum Areas of Learning:
- communication and language.
- physical development.
- personal, social and emotional development.
- understanding the world.
- expressive arts and design.
Below is a list of the areas with some examples of the many types of learning they offer:
- Home corner: Imagination, Communication and Interaction.
- Malleable area: Mathematical Thinking. Physical Development
- Writing Area: Writing Development, Physical Skills
- Creative workshop: Creative Thinking, Design Skills
- Sand Tray Mathematical Language, Communication Skills
- Snack and cooking area Physical Skills, Personal Skills
- Themed role play area that changes e.g shop or hairdressers Understanding the World around them.
- Construction area Mathematical Thinking and Problem Solving, Imagination and Design skills
- Small World area Storytelling skills,
- Dressing up Understanding world around them, Imagination
- Maths area Mathematical concepts
- Story Corner Literacy skills
- Programmable toys / Computing Area Technology Skill
Outside we have a large learning space with both hard surfaces and grass with the added challenge of a hill. We also have a large canopy and tap to support our learning outside. The space is carefully designed to offer further learning areas which include:
- Water tray Mathematical Thinking and Problem solving
- Creative station Creative Thinking and Design
- Sand Pit Mathematical Problem Solving Physical Skills
- Bike Area Physical Skills, Social Skills
- Reading Den Literacy Development
- Balance course Physical Skills
- Growing Patch Understanding the World around us
- Mud Kitchen Understanding the World around us, Imagination skills
Assessment of Learning at Nursery
Keep up-to-date with your child's learning using our secure assessment system Tapestry. We like to hear about all the wonderful learning that happens at home, you can add observations too! If you have forgotten your login detail please talk to Mrs Peck who can can set you a new password. Please click below to login.
Take a look at our Gallery for just some of the learning we do whilst at Nursery!